[Ep 41] News this week! Facebook to start ads on Messenger soon, Google bringing more personalized feed for their users, YouTube’s new move will be debunking violent extremist while Instagram gets an API upgrade to be of more use to businesses! Make your mark in the digital world around you in just 2 minutes with these bytes. Every Tuesday at 2:22.
Facebook Ads Coming Soon to Messenger
July 11, 2017 –Facebook ads seem to have been coming to a saturation point, and despite some added features and options to improve ads for users, it is getting pretty hard to win the users’ attention. Not to forget the increasing ad pricing.
But soon Facebook is going to launch the ads in Messenger for U.S. audiences. These will extensions of Facebook and Instagram ads.
You will be able to run all kinds of ads from photo to carousel except videos (for now)
To be honest I am not quite keen on seeing ads in Messenger but maybe the brands can deliver a unique user experience with them.
We’ll have to wait and see.
Google Feed is More Personalized
July 19, 2017 –According to Google “they’ve advanced our machine learning algorithms to better anticipate what’s interesting and important to the users.”
Your feed will not only be based on your interactions with Google but also factor in what’s trending in your area and around the world. The more you use Google, the better your feed will be.
Some more amazing additions will be:
- The new “Follow” button next to certain types of search results—including movies, sports teams, your favourite bands or music artists, famous people, and more.
- The ability to fact check and see other relevant information to help get a more holistic understanding of the topics in your feed.
- The option to dive deeper into any of the topics you see in your feed. At the top of every card, you’ll see a header that puts your interests front and center, letting you search that topic on Google with one tap.
YouTube to Get More Secure
July 20, 2017 –YouTube is rolling out a feature using the model proven by the Redirect Method: when people search for certain keywords on YouTube, we will display a playlist of videos debunking violent extremist recruiting narratives.
According to YouTube, they are going to take the following actions to help change people’s minds
- Expanding the new YouTube product functionality to a wider set of search queries in other languages beyond English.
- Using machine learning to dynamically update the search query terms.
- Working with expert NGOs on developing new video content designed to counter violent extremist messaging at different parts of the radicalization funnel.
- Collaborating with Jigsaw to expand the “Redirect Method” in Europe.
A great initiative for sure. Hope to see other channels following this approach.
API for Better Tracking on Instagram
July 24, 2017 –Instagram is matching Facebook’s standards by introducing an API to help businesses manage their organic presence more effectively.
In addition, the API will include new features for comment moderation including the ability to hide comments or toggle them on and off. This capability gives businesses additional flexibility on the platform with their organic content while furthering our commitment to keeping Instagram a safe place for self-expression.
This sure will be a game changer for all the businesses’ who are active on Insta.
Until Next Tuesday…
Hopefully, these news bytes help to take your digital marketing to the next level! Subscribe to our free monthly newsletter.